Aurora is an established supplier of skilled manpower to ESA and in particular at ESTEC and ESAC.
Aurora has the opportunity to expand our support to ESA in the domain of Software & Control Systems Engineering (SWC).
Happiness of our employees has proven key to obtaining excellent results and a client who also regards us highly for excellent service.
The contractor will be assigned to the Ground Software Systems and Functional Verification Section of the Software Systems Division.
The contractor will provide expert support to ESA project teams in activities related to modernizing the existing Galileo ground segment software infrastructure and supporting the enhancement of navigation services through the integration of next-generation Galileo satellites.
Using state-of-the-art layered architecture, it is planned to operate software services from a common hardware platform. This ground segment infrastructure is a very software-intensive system with modern software methodologies, tools and processes being required to master the complexity.
The Ground Segment Deployment Platform will use an Agile Release Train (ART) based on the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).
- Act as business owner overseeing the continued specification, design and development of the Platform, including suitable data management functions.
- Contribute to defining the best approach to transition from the currently operational Galileo 1st generation ground segment software architecture to the next generation architecture.
- Provide integrated support to the function of Galileo 2nd Generation Ground Segment System Software Engineer in the Galileo G2 GS Management Service, Galileo Ground Segment Management Office, Directorate of Navigation. Common services to be provided by the platform are: IaaS (memory, compute and storage):
– Secure network services, including secure WAN. -High-availability features, including business continuity; PaaS.
– Resource abstraction layers (e.g. hyper-convergence, virtualisation, containerization).
– Scalability; platform management tooling; automated software deployment; software and hardware patching; accredited IT security and protection; SaaS.
– Centralised security management (e.g. security monitoring, access control).
– Software service hosting, communication and interfacing (e.g. message queue, service mesh); data.
- Leading the specification and procurement of the 2nd Generation deployment platform.
- Supporting management of the 2nd Generation Galileo Ground Segment classified and unclassified Technical Baseline (applicable requirements and standards).
- Supporting definition of the 2nd Generation Galileo Ground Segment Statement of Work according to the applicable ECSS standards and system design objectives.
- Providing support to the 2nd Generation Galileo System design activities as necessary to ensure consistency with the System Operational Concept.
- Reporting regularly to the Head of the Galileo G2 Ground Segment Management Service.
- Supporting Ground Segment reviews according to SoW milestones, applicable ECSS standards and SAFe ART Program Increment lifecycle.
Specific qualification requirements
- A university degree (Msc) or equivalent qualification in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Space Systems Engineering, Mathematics or a related discipline.
- Datacenters & Networking.
- Understanding of IT infrastructure management.
- State-of-the-art knowledge in area of IT Infrastructure and software development and related IT trends in industry.
- Knowledge and understanding of cyber security matters.
- Solid understanding/knowledge of requirements engineering.
- Be able to work with a technical team of software specialists who support many ESA missions in the same technical area.
- Be able to obtain, security clearance to the ESA Secret level. good knowledge of Agile software engineering techniques. Knowledge of a scaled agile methodology would be a further advantage.
- Experience and understanding of the following currently used technologies and engineering practices will be considered an asset: MBSE, PaaS, Virtualisation, Containerisation, IaaS, SOA, micro-services, Kubernetes, Kafka
- An ability to work independently and to establish good working relations with ESA and industrial counterparts is essential.
- Proficient in the English Language (Spoken and Written).
Legal and Security Requirements
- All applicants must be legally allowed to work in The Netherlands.
- Applicants are required to provide a copy of their passport and degree certificate. Aurora will validate the Degree with the issuing University and provide evidence to ESA.
- Prior to issuing a letter of employment the applicant shall provide to Aurora a recent official document declaring that they are of good conduct from the country where currently resident.
The work will be performed at the European Space Technology and Research Centre (ESTEC) at Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
- The selected candidate will receive good remuneration in line with ESA Job Class.
- Will be registered for both social security and tax in the Netherlands.
- The standard working hours are 40 per week. There are 12 public holidays and an additional 30 annual days holiday.
- Training to improve efficiency and provide strength for future career are of course included.
- Aurora assist with relocation both with support and financially.
- Aurora contributes to a company pension scheme.
To be considered for this Position
Prior to 16 September 2022, please apply via our Job Application form quoting TEC-SWC-864 (RT-C/TEC-SWG/00864) as reference.
Aurora will agree conditional employment terms and conditions with candidates before presenting them by 20 September 2022, 13.00 hours.
If not directly interested, feel free to share by this Job Vacancy with your friends!