Aurora is an established supplier of skilled manpower to ESA and in particular at ESTEC and ESAC. Aurora has the opportunity to expand our support to ESA in the domain of EDP – Electromagnetics Components Data & Power Systems Engineering.
Happiness of our employees has proven key to obtaining excellent results and a client who also regards us highly for excellent service.
The On-Board Computer & Data Handling Section provides functional support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) on turn-key on-board HW Data Handling solutions for platform and payload data handling architectures and units (on-board computers, mass memories, remotes terminals, etc.).
The post holder assignment concerns support to the Galileo 2nd Generation satellite Project (G2 satellite), Galileo Programme Department, Directorate of Navigation as an On-Board Computer and Data Handling Systems Engineer.
ESA starts procurement of the first batch of the Galileo Second Generation (G2) satellites, which will provide all the services and capabilities of the current first generation, together with a substantial number of improvements as well as new services and capabilities
Reporting directly to the G2A Satellite Platform Manager, the post holder is technical responsible for the design and procurement of the G2A spacecraft data handling subsystem (DHS).
In particular the post holder, within the programme guidelines and constraints as defined by the G2A Satellite Platform Manager, shall.
- Provide expert technical support and consultancy to the Galileo projects regarding on-board Computer and Data-Handling systems throughout all project phases.
- Lead and coordinate specialized engineering support provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management and Operation for
- Participating in feasibility studies, project reviews and the evaluation of procurement proposals within the DHS perimeter;
identifying critical DHS development problems and assisting in their
- Monitoring the industrial work associated with design, development, validation, qualification and acceptance of the on-board Computer and Data-Handling systems and associated equipment ensuring that these meet the satellite and security requirements.
- Monitoring the industrial activities related to the definition and execution of the satellite verification programme in the areas of responsibility, including implementation and monitoring of AIT/AIV activities on Data Handling sub-systems and equipment.
- Ensuring timely delivery of the Deliverable Items (to allow preparation of in-orbit operations) in the domain of responsibility as foreseen by industrial activities included in the SoW.
- Elaborating in the area of expertise the dispositions related to anomaly-handling, NRBs, NCR process, RFD/W, etc.
- Participating in Agency project reviews and lower-level reviews in the relevant field of competence (DHS).
- Preparing the inputs in the area of expertise for the Satellite Verification Control Board and Space Segment Control Boards’ processes.
- Regular and ad hoc reporting to the Satellite Platform Manager on all aspects of on-board Computer and Data-Handling sub system and equipment development, proactive monitoring of relevant schedules, identifying risk and problem areas, proposing mitigation actions.
- Close coordination with G2A Sat Security engineer and the other G2A team engineers.
- Close coordination with other G2A functions (PA, Operations) as appropriate to maximize efficiency in executing the project.
Finally, the post holder will participate in periodic meetings with the parent On-Board Computer & Data Handling section, contributing to the transfer of technical knowledge and lessons learned (within the limits of mandated project confidentiality) across the Agency.
Specific qualification requirements
The candidate shall have:
- Master’s degree in networks, electronics, telecommunications or a related field is required.
- Applicants should have at least 10 years of professional experience in the fields of space hardware related to platform and payload data handling equipment (units, modules and boards).
- Knowledge in the fields of Data Handling Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE) and in the field of multi-core on-board computer architectures will be considered as assets.
- Proactive attitude to solving problems.
- Good organizational skills.
- A very good working knowledge of spoken and written English is essential.
Legal and Security Requirements
- All applicants must be legally allowed to work in The Netherlands
- Applicants are required to provide a copy of their passport and degree certificate. Aurora will validate the Degree with the issuing University and provide evidence to ESA.
- Prior to issuing a letter of employment the applicant shall provide to Aurora a recent official document declaring that they are of good conduct from the country where currently resident.
The work will be performed at the European Space Technology and Research Centre (ESTEC) at Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
- The selected candidate will receive good remuneration in line with ESA Job Class.
- Will be registered for both social security and tax in the Netherlands.
- The standard working hours are 40 per week. There are 12 public holidays and an additional 30 annual days holiday.
- Training to improve efficiency and provide strength for future career are of course included.
- Aurora assist with relocation both with support and financially.
- Aurora contributes to a company pension scheme.
To be considered for this Position
Prior to 4 July 2021, please apply via our Job Application form quoting TEC-EDP-732 (RT-C/TEC-EDD/00732) as reference.
Aurora will agree conditional employment terms and conditions with candidates before presenting them by 6 July 2021, 13.00 hours.
If not directly interested, feel free to share by this Job Vacancy with your friends!