Aurora is an established supplier of skilled manpower to ESA and in particular at ESTEC and ESAC. Aurora has the opportunity to expand our support to ESA in the domain of SMT- Structures, Materials, Mechanisms and Thermal Engineering. We are looking for a Structures Engineer to support the Structures Section in the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality (TEC).
Happiness of our employees has proven key to obtaining excellent results and a client who also regards us highly for excellent service.
Structures Static, Buckling/Stability, Thermo-Elastic Analysis.
- Support the generation and set-up of structural mathematical models using the finite element method for structural analysis problems for Agency funded projects, taking into account the specific objectives of such analysis, covering all structural materials applied in spacecraft and launchers. Where necessary non-linear approaches and specific solution sequences shall be applied/developed (e.g. Nastran SOL 600, Mecano, Abaqus).
- Perform the analysis, evaluate critically the results and issue relevant documentation covering all analysis steps.
- Support the generation and set-up of mathematical models for structural elastic stability problems for Agency funded projects taking into account specific requirements attached to this type of analysis.
- Perform stability analysis leading to the determination of buckling loads and deformations. Where necessary the post buckling behaviour shall be addressed, adequate non-linear approaches used, and where relevant specific solution sequences shall be developed.
- Evaluate critically the results, and issue relevant documentation covering all analysis steps.
- Support the generation and set-up of mathematical models for structural thermo-elastic stability problems for Agency funded projects, taking into account specific requirements attached to this type of analysis.
- Perform the interpolation of the temperature maps as resulting from thermal analysis for their employment in finite element structural analysis.
- Perform thermo-elastic analysis leading to the determination of loads and deformations, evaluate the outcome in terms of margins of safety and stability budgets, evaluate critically the results and issue relevant documentation covering all analysis steps. Where necessary non-linear approaches shall be considered and specific solution sequences shall be developed.
- Evaluate critically the results and the loads and issue relevant documentation.
Design and Configuration
- Support spacecraft and launcher configuration studies for Agency projects. This includes operating CAD tools and participation in Concurrent Design Facility (CDF) sessions at ESTEC.
- Perform mass, inertia and balance calculations and relevant budget assessments.
- Issue relevant documentation covering all configuration definition aspects, and where necessary shall support the configuration definition by preliminary structural analyses using FEM models.
- Ensure CAD interfaces and configuration data transfer with Agency contractors via international standards.
- Ensure the interface between the CAD systems and the relevant FEM tools to enable further evaluation of the structural behaviour.
- Contribute to the further development of the Structures and Configuration tools deployed in the Agency, including in the CDF.
- Support progress meetings and reviews in support to Agency projects.
- Support the updating and maintenance of CAD and FE models databases.
- Support and contribute to the establishment and maintenance of relevant Structures Engineering Standards and Handbooks.
Dynamic Test Data Analysis And Test Correlation.
- Support the preparation and execution of mechanical tests (modal survey, sine, random, acoustics, micro-vibration, shock, etc) for spacecraft & launchers of Agency projects by performing and/or reviewing analytical predictions and procedures.
- Perform modal identification of the test data, evaluate critically the results and make usage of these results for updating structural finite element models.
- Perform assessments of shock response data.
- Take into account the specific objectives of such analyses and where necessary non-linear analyses shall be performed and specific solution sequences shall be developed.
- Issue relevant documentation covering all analysis steps. Where applicable produce advanced reduced dynamic mathematical models.
Specific qualification requirements
- Master’s degree or equivalent in mechanical or aeronautical engineering.
- Relevant experience within the field of spacecraft- and launcher structures design, analysis, verification and testing.
- Good knowledge in space system engineering, and space engineering standards (ECSS).
- Knowledge and experience of structures numerical analysis tools such as Nastran, Patran, Abaqus, ESACRACK etc.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to work effectively, autonomously and cooperatively in a diverse and international team environment, defining and implementing solutions in line with team and individual objectives, as well as project deadlines.
- Proactive attitude to solving problems.
- Good organisational skills.
- A very good working knowledge of spoken and written English is essential.
Legal and Security Requirements
- All applicants must be legally allowed to work in The Netherlands
- Applicants are required to provide a copy of their passport and degree certificate. Aurora will validate the Degree with the issuing University and provide evidence to ESA.
- Prior to issuing a letter of employment the applicant shall provide to Aurora a recent official document declaring that they are of good conduct from the country where currently resident.
The work will be performed at the European Space Technology and Research Centre (ESTEC) at Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
- The selected candidate will receive good remuneration in line with ESA Job Class.
- Will be registered for both social security and tax in the Netherlands.
- The standard working hours are 40 per week. There are 12 public holidays and an additional 30 annual days holiday.
- Training to improve efficiency and provide strength for future career are of course included.
- Aurora assist with relocation both with support and financially.
- Aurora contributes to a company pension scheme.
To be considered for this Position
Prior to 17 August 2021, please apply via our Job Application form quoting TEC-SMT-744 (RT-C/TEC-MSS/00744) as reference.
Aurora will agree conditional employment terms and conditions with candidates before presenting them by 19 August 2021, 13.00 hours.
If not directly interested, feel free to share by this Job Vacancy with your friends!