Aurora is an established supplier of skilled manpower to ESA and in particular at ESTEC and ESAC. Aurora has the opportunity to expand our support to ESA in the domain of EOP- Engineering Support to Earth Observation.
Happiness of our employees has proven key to obtaining excellent results and a client who also regards us highly for excellent service.
Within the Future Missions and Instruments Division (EOP-FM), the Technology Coordination and Frequency Management Section (EOP-FMT) is responsible for two following main tasks:
- Identification of technology requirements for future Earth Observation (EO) missions. A solid collaboration with the other sections of the division and with other divisions in the EOP directorate and ESA’s technical directorate is essential for this work. The nature of the work requires a wide knowledge in engineering disciplines with a natural inclination for learning and understanding new technologies in connection to EO space systems.
- Analysis and monitoring of the evolution of frequency needs for EO missions, including early concepts and potential interference conflicts with other communication services sharing the spectrum.
- Provide engineering support in the area of EO.
Technology Development for the following tasks:
- Support the identification of the technology requirements for future Earth observations missions, covering the whole spectrum (mainly platform and ground stations network, but also support to optical and RF instruments ).
- Provide support to technology developments and for future EO missions, in particular for platform and ground segment.
- Initiate, conduct internal studies and support to assess the results of industrial activities and in the area of technology development and modelling of end-to-end system (e.g. data flow, technical budgets) or on-board sub-system aspects.
- Support the definition and monitoring of missions under preparation through, e.g. participation to reviews, assessment of industrial results, evaluation of proposals in reply to calls, including functional analysis and design, overall system concept, system level budgets, system performance analyses.
- Support the EO technology observatory function outside the EOP Directorate (e.g. ARTES), and also outside ESA (e.g. other space agencies, commercial initiatives under NewSpace, and the potential spin-in from non-space sectors).
Specific Qualification requirements
- PhD or Master’s degree in Engineering or physics with relevant background and experience in space projects and associated technology developments.
- Candidates should have several years of experience in the development of advanced on-board system and sub-technologies for space applications, ideally in EO domain.
- Candidates should have Experience in Space Projects, preferably in EO and/or in preparatory Activities (Phase 0 and A).
- Experience with System (Performance) Simulation and End-to-End, satellite Data Flow, including data processing, is desirable.
- Knowledge of remote sensing techniques used in Earth Observation missions.
- knowledge of Matlab and STK or similar tools.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English .
Legal and Security Requirements
- All applicants must be legally allowed to work in The Netherlands.
- Applicants are required to provide a copy of their passport and degree certificate. Aurora will validate the Degree with the issuing University and provide evidence to ESA.
- Prior to issuing a letter of employment the applicant shall provide to Aurora a recent official document declaring that they are of good conduct from the country where currently resident.
The work will be performed at the European Space Technology and Research Centre (ESTEC) at Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
- The selected candidate will receive good remuneration in line with ESA Job Class.
- Will be registered for both social security and tax in the Netherlands.
- The standard working hours are 40 per week. There are 12 public holidays and an additional 30 annual days holiday.
- Training to improve efficiency and provide strength for future career are of course included.
- Aurora assist with relocation both with support and financially.
- Aurora contributes to a company pension scheme.
To be considered for this Position
Prior to 31 October 2022, please apply via our Job Application form quoting EOP-178 (RT-C/EOP-B/00178) as reference.
Aurora will agree conditional employment terms and conditions with candidates before presenting them by 02 November 2022, 13.00 hours.
If not directly interested, feel free to share by this Job Vacancy with your friends!