Aurora is an established supplier of skilled manpower to ESA and in particular at ESTEC and ESAC. Aurora has the opportunity to expand our support to ESA in the domain of Telecommunications & Integrated Applications (TIA). We are looking for a Telecommunications System Engineer to support the Telecom Technologies, Products & Systems Department.
Happiness of our employees has proven key to obtaining excellent results and a client who also regards us highly for excellent service.
In support and reporting to the 4S Programme Manager you will coordinate the activities required for setting-up future Institutional and European telecommunications Programmes/ Initiatives/ Activities in the area of secure satcom for safety and security, research programs (H2020, Horizon Europe) and partnership programmes. The activities notably include the support of preparatory activities, actions and implementation in cooperation and cooperation with the relevant stakeholders (Industry, National Agencies, EU Institutions).
In particular the activities will include:
- Supporting the Project preparation and implementation and managing industrial activities.
- Provide support to the 4S programme Manager/System Engineer/Technical Leads in coordinating ESA internal studies and preparing the associated documentation.
- Support the ESA 4S programme Manager/System Engineer/Technical Leads in monitoring activities related to the industrial activities, especially monitoring the coherent and cost-effective implementation of requirements from system level down to the lower sub-system level.
- Participation in Agency Reviews, notably supporting the 4S programme Manager/System Engineer/Technical Leads in organizing the Phase A/B System Requirements Review and Preliminary Design Review as well as lower level technical reviews in the relevant field of interest.
- Supporting the definition of technology activities or additional technical studies in preparation of the next Phase of the Programme in the appropriate areas of competence.
- Assessment of new concepts and techniques to be applied to next generation mobile communication systems for both space and ground segment.
- Preparation of inputs to status reports.
Regular reporting of progress to the ESA System Engineers and the 4S Programme Manager. In the execution of the tasks, the Telecommunication Systems Engineer will liaise closely and proactively with the rest of the Programme team as well as with other colleagues within the Telecommunications Technologies, Products and Services Department.
In particular as support to the 4S programme Manager the tasks will include:
- Support Implementation Projects for preliminary System definition and validation. This can Include test bed Systems and emulator or simulator of systems.
- Support to preparatory activities in the course of defining and setting up new programme elements and the related programmatic frameworks.
- Support in the creation of information packages to Decision Makers and industrial partners.
- Support in the creation of internal or external decision documents (e.g. proposals to the ESA programme boards) throughout the relevant project lifetime.
- Identification and characterisation of new services and applications.
- Support to other projects or Directorates of ESA for the definition and operational assessment of applications and services.
- Support to standardisation activities in specific areas.
- Monitoring of and reporting about activities in other ARTES Elements or other relevant programmes including EC programmes.
- Initiation, preparation and running promotion activities, like workshops with Industry, other agencies or National Delegation as well as media related activities (e.g. web-articles).
- Initiation of and/or participation in international working groups.
Specific qualification requirements
- Master in Aerospace/Telecommunications Engineering or relevant area of expertise, plus a minimum of 4 years of working experience in satellite communications.
- Experience in an international team is required. Candidates should also possess very good interpersonal skills, be well-organised, pro-active, self-motivated and able to work effectively in a matrix structure.
- Fluency in English is required, including the ability to draft technical reports.
- Proven capabilities in preparation of programmatic frameworks requiring system and strategic thinking.
- Experience in System Test Bed (End to End).
- Relevant experience in System requirements analysis, design, implementation and operations, and associated management experience.
- Sound knowledge of the overall space market.
- Good communication skills, problem solving skills and be able to manage relationships, work in a team.
Legal and Security Requirements
- All applicants must be legally allowed to work in The Netherlands
- Applicants are required to provide a copy of their passport and degree certificate. Aurora will validate the Degree with the issuing University and provide evidence to ESA.
- Prior to issuing a letter of employment the applicant shall provide to Aurora a recent official document declaring that they are of good conduct from the country where currently resident.
The work will be performed at the European Space Technology and Research Centre (ESTEC) at Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
- Please note this position will be an initial1 year contract.
- The selected candidate will receive good remuneration in line with ESA Job Class.
- Will be registered for both social security and tax in the Netherlands.
- The standard working hours are 40 per week. There are 12 public holidays and an additional 30 annual days holiday.
- Training to improve efficiency and provide strength for future career are of course included.
- Aurora assist with relocation both with support and financially.
- Aurora contributes to a company pension scheme.
To be considered for this Position
Prior to 3 December 2021, please apply via our Job Application form quoting TIA-144 (RT-C/TIA-T/00144) as reference.
Aurora will agree conditional employment terms and conditions with candidates before presenting them by 7 December 2021.
If not directly interested, feel free to share by this Job Vacancy with your friends!