Aurora is an established supplier of skilled manpower to ESA and in particular at ESAC and ESTEC. Aurora is the largest Service provider at ESAC and require a replacement for our senior engineer who is retiring.
The Software Engineer will prepare and execute the system engineering for the Science Operations Centre (SOC), part of the Science Ground Segment (SGS). SOC tasks include various aspects of science operations planning, instrument handling, science data processing and archiving. The main duties of the System Engineer may include:
- Conducting the system requirements engineering process for the SOC including requirements traceability
- Defining the SOC system architecture down to the level of individual functionalities and software architecture where applicable
- Coordinating the design, implementation and testing of the SOC systems with a focus on the integrity and efficiency on corresponding development plans
- Follow-up the SW design and implementation activities in order to make sure that the implemented software and hardware fulfil the system & subsystem requirements. As well, support the assignation of requirements (subsystem & s/w subtasks) to the s/w releases.
- Defining and executing the implementation, acceptance and testing of the various SOC sub-systems
- Maintenance of the S/W tools employed to provide support services to the scientific community
- Defining and formalizing the required SOC interfaces;
- Support the Archive development by following up closely the Archive detailed design definition and its implementation; coordinate with ESDC through technical and progress meetings, as required.
- Coordination for the development of MAPPS/EPS tools
- Interaction with the Mission Operations Centre at ESOC and the various instrument teams.
- Define, implement and test MOC interfaces using GFTS/EDDS etc. as appropriate.
- Define/agree and implement community interfaces
- Preparation and maintenance of SW documentation
- Cooperate with other on engineering matters [e.g. promote the exchange of information with missions that have various similarities ]
- Performing required status reporting and supporting reviews.
Specific qualification requirements
- Masters degree, preferably Software Engineering.
- At least 4 years of software engineering experience in Java.
- Experience in XML Processing.
- Experience with Software Engineering tools for Java.
- Preferably experience with Space Operations Software and an understanding of satellite operations.
- Experience working in an international environment.
- Excellent communication skills – notably in interfacing with different stakeholders with diverse backgrounds (for example Scientists).
- You must be able to work in English.
Legal and Security Requirements
- All applicants must be legally allowed to work in Spain without the need to obtain a work visa. Only European Union citizens can be employed by Aurora in Spain.
- Applicants are required to provide a copy of their passport and degree certificate. Aurora will validate the Degree with the issuing University and provide evidence to ESA.
- In line with ESA’s security requirements, prior to issuing a letter of employment the applicant shall provide to Aurora a recent official document declaring that they are of good conduct from the country where currently resident, and Aurora will validate your employment history.
It is expected that the work will be performed at the ESAC, the European Space Astronomy Centre, at Villafranca del Castillo, near Madrid, Spain.
- The selected candidate will receive good remuneration.
- You will be registered for both social security and tax in Spain.
- The standard working hours are 40 per week. There are 12 public holidays and an additional 30 annual days holiday.
- In addition to public health services Aurora provides private medical insurance in Spain.
- Training to improve efficiency and provide strength for future career are of course included.
- Aurora can assist financially and provide recent experience information for relocation.
To be considered for this Position
Provide as soon as possible and prior to 27 September 2019 a summary of why you are a good candidate for the position together with a complete and detailed Candidate Proposal Form or CV and Motivation Letter to Mr. Davide Starnone at email firstname.lastname@example.org and copy Mr. Alex Jeanes at email email@example.com quoting reference SCO-JBR.
As this is a replacement position we will agree a good canidate with ESA as soon as possible.
If not directly interested, feel free to share by this Job Vacancy with your friends!